United States 2019, 119 min, English, Hebrew subtitles
The moment he placed a pillbox hat of his design on Jackie Kennedy’s head was the moment that set Halston on the road to fame. Everyone wanted one of those hats, and the boy from Iowa who had reinvented himself in New York became America’s hottest, most sought-after fashion designer.
Halston’s tale is narrated as a mystery, a staggering rise to the top followed by a dramatic downfall. America’s first superstar designer rubbed elbows with the in-crowd of Studio 54, made billions and lived an eccentric life, until he lost everything.
His thrilling story unfolds against a background of the iconic garments he had designed in the 1970s, the celebrities who wore them, and the great dramas that swept through New York City in the midst of a cultural, sexual, and economic revolution.
Previous Festivals: Sundance, CPH:DOX, Tribeca, BFI Flare Film Festival
- Thu 08.08 20:30 Cinemateque 3
- Sat 10.08 17:00 Cinemateque 3
- Mon 12.08 18:30 Haifa Cinematheque - Rappaport Hall
- Tue 13.08 20:30 Haifa Cinematheque - Rappaport Hall
- Sat 17.08 18:00 Herzliya Cinematheque
- Sat 17.08 20:30 Cinemateque 1
- Buy Tickets Fri 23.08 19:30 Cinemateque 3
- Buy Tickets Sat 24.08 20:30 Cinemateque 3
- Buy Tickets Mon 26.08 20:30 Holon Cinematheque
- Buy Tickets Fri 30.08 19:30 Cinemateque 3
Production: Frédéric Tcheng, Roland Ballester, Stephanie Levy, Paul Dallas
Editing: Èlia Gasull Balada, Frédéric Tcheng
Cinematography: Chris W. Johnson
Research: Sylvia Cahill, Bethany Gingrich, Harper Franklin
Soundtrack: Tracy Mcknight
Music: Stanley Clarke
Frédéric Tcheng (Director, Producer, Writer, Editor) is a French-born filmmaker whose 2015 directorial debut, Dior and I, was distributed worldwide to much acclaim. He also co-directed Diana Vreeland: The Eye Has To Travel; and was the co-producer and co-editor of Valentino: The Last Emperor. Frédéric is currently directing two art-related documentaries and developing fiction projects.